Wordfast Anywhere is a tour de force of free cloud translation technology. It features simple and intuitive uploading and management of translation memory and term base. It has features like Preview Document and Free Alignment (up to 3 files) that sets it apart from other free tools. Furthermore, maneuvering the tool is easy, making it accessible to new and experienced freelancers alike.
Points that Can Be Improved
But there are still areas where Wordfast Anywhere can improve. Below are a few points I noticed as a freelance translator:
- Wordfast Anywhere is language-pair restrictive. It only allows one pair per user, and this usually suffices, except for rare cases where we get orders the other way around.
- The segments are inflexible. Users can’t move between segments just by clicking. You need to click on the “down” button multiple times until you can edit the desired segment.
- Wordfast Anywhere is slow. When there’s a lot of tags, it freezes. And when it freezes, you need to log off and then log in again. This is a big waste of time.
- There’s no “confirm” button for segments. Users can’t tell how much they’ve finished. And, users can’t jump to the next unconfirmed segment, either. This is a big problem when proofreading and editing, because you need to click the “up” or “down” button each time until you can get to your desired segment.
- The buttons are cluttered. There are too many buttons that aren’t useful for translators, and conversely it’s missing buttons for functions that are often used. For example, there isn’t an Add Term button. There’s a shortcut for it (Ctrl + Alt + T), but why not add it as a button, instead of buttons like Web Search that is rarely used? The Alt + Insert shortcut is also unintuitive, especially for a Mac user who doesn’t have an Insert button.
- The Document Pane isn’t appealing. The target segment box size isn’t fixed and it sometimes changes size. The font, size and layout can all be improved. The TM is on the top, and the TB is on the right side, but usually freelancers reference both at once, so having them in two different places is awkward. The spacing of the Wordfast Anywhere layout makes me feel claustrophobic.
The inflexibility in moving between segments, the lack of a confirm button and progress status, and the poor design of the document pane all take away from the appeal of Wordfast Anywhere. Although it’s free and useful, there are still some improvements that can be made.